Friday, March 20, 2009

Q: What do you do when you buy a defective stroller whose manufacturer has gone out of business?

Answer: Sell it online to the first clueless buyer of course.
I'm the 'clueless buyer' in this case. And here is the stroller:


The stroller, that was only used twice (read on to find out why:)!), was 5 minutes from my dad's work so he picked it up. Before he picked it up I called and left a message saying if the front wheel didn't pivot, I didn't want it. No answer. I called 20 minutes after my dad picked it up and she said the wheel didn't pivot, but my dad had already picked it up, she had already cashed the check at the bank, and she had taken all her listings off ebay, craigslist and ksl.com. Wait...does something sound off?
A few days later I learned that the frame is bent and the wheel always turns to the left.
I had three options: (1) always walk in a leftward circle with the stroller (okay, not really) (2) sell it to another sucker online (that's just wrong) (3) fix it.
I bought a "swivel wheel axis system" for the stroller. It didn't fit and there isn't one that does fit.
Skip ahead a few days. I took it to a welder and he welded the part on. The total cost was more than a new stroller is worth, but it works.
Moral of my story (for me): (1) Beware of online sellers!!!! Especially when their story is sketchy. (2) Never give up! Ben made me a bet for a two-day fishing trip that I couldn't fix it!

4 comments:

The Young Family said...

That is so sad that someone would do that. At least you fixed it though! Your kiddos are darling and I hope the adjustment with having 2 is treating you well. They are a handful but totally worth it!

Meredith said...

Yeah for you fixing it! So do you get the fishing trip now??? I think you should make Ben pay up big time! Cute kids and I am glad you now have a stroller that works.

Lynette said...

That seriously just sucks. I'm glad the welding job worked though, too bad it was so freaking expensive! How is it working now?

The Bott Family said...

Way to fix it! You go girl. You know even though it cost more than a new stroller doesn't it just feel good that you figured out how to fix it when the lady had to swindel someone into buying it. Whose the better person? You definatly are the champion of champions.