I spoke on Sunday. Ben was called in to work at midnight on Saturday night and hadn't gotten home as we headed to church. We found some families that the kids were comfortable with that they could sit by while I spoke. Five minutes before I went up Ben tapped me on the shoulder. So relieved, I almost cried, mostly because I knew whoever took Mackayla would have a feisty crying baby the whole time in the hallway. she mostly just likes me:) One thing I mentioned while I was speaking was in Alma 44. Moroni attributes their success in battles to their faith and the Sacred Support of their wives and children. I kind of glanced up at Ben because I wondered if he would not like me talking about him in public (I really didn't say anything about him directly:)) and got all choked up because I thought "he just worked all night and instead of going home to sleep he came to church to support me." Then I wondered if people thought I was crying because I was a crappy wife:). ha ha!
Top favorite quote from my talk:
Jeffery R. Holland on raising small children: "Rely on Him. Rely on Him heavily. Rely on Him forever. You are doing God's work. You are doing it wonderfully well. He is blessing and He will bless you, even-no, especially-when your days and your nights may be the most challenging. ...There is nothing more important in this world than participating so directly in the work and glory of God, in bring to pass the mortality and earthly life of His daughters and sons."
I quoted that after reading this Mischief post. It wasn't quite as funny when I wrote it as it is now.
Just for good measure, here's another good memory. After not dealing with that for a year, I'm a little leary of Mackayla getting older!
Now we're currently in the 'age of drama' with Macey. One week I decided I would lovingly address every single one of her crying outbursts. After being mentally and physically exhausted I realized what I already knew; she doesn't cry because she's hurt, it's just how she expresses frustration. With a sound that makes people think she is going to die. She has a slightly different hurt cry I can distinguish instantly. I'm still not sure how to handle it. Eh. Here's another good Jeffery R. Holland quote!
"Yours is the work of salvation, and therefore you will be magnified, compensated, made more than you are and better than you have ever been as you try to make an honest effort, however feeble you may sometimes feel that to be."
2 comments:
it must be a second child thing, because marleigh is the EXACT same way- Loved this post!
Thanks Carrie, I needed those quotes (and "child moments"). Maybe I should write a talk on why I love being a mother, just to remind myself.
Post a Comment