Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Body Project

Getting my degree in fitness and wellness, akin to exercise science, is both a blessing and a curse. It means that when I'm not in shape I feel it and know it, in exact terms. BUT, on the blessing side, I know how to get back in shape. At least in theory!

As we were moving here we were so excited that Ben would have to work less daunting hours! I had planned to run a marathon, and among other things. Then, once he had worked a bit, reality set in. I was sad for him and, selfishly, for myself too because now I couldn't go running, or anything else, as easily. So as I sat one night reading a book by Dallin H. Oaks I read something so simple it was funny I hadn't already figured it out. Never depend on someone else to achieve your goals. Ta da. 
I can train for a race all by myself. 
This week I went running four times with my kids. Having that under my belt I felt a little empowered and last night I signed up for a half marathon! Not a marathon, but one baby step at a time. Someday, I WILL run a marathon again. Maybe next spring when my baby is older and I'm not nursing!? (I'm almost done!!!!!!! strangely sad.) It turns out it was perfect timing because Ben went to work Thursday morning at 7 and he hasn't been home yet. It is now 6 o'clock p.m. on Friday. Insanity. I heard today that in medical residencies they have a cap for hours they can work. They do not have that in the vet world.

I feel bad I never truly used my training for anyone else, aside from working at BYU. But I am starting from scratch and it's kind of enlightening. Last year, we moved, I had immobilizing pregnancy pains and I lived in Oklahoma. (If you didn't know, nothing is close by in Oklahoma - not the gym, not a sidewalk for a host of children, and not a storm shelter in a tornado:)) Even if we had a sidewalk I'm not sure I would have used it. A good friend invited us to trick or treat in her neighborhood at Halloween and jokingly said she wouldn't want us to parade around to all the child molesters in our neighborhood:)! Definitely not excuses to not exercise but I took a year and a half off completely of exercise and felt like it was a good decision.  I have ALWAYS felt like exercise should not be stressful. 

Okay, back to my point, where I've never trained anyone I don't really know how hard to push anyone else. But as I was running today I figured the way I get better and faster personally is I mentally prepare for that moment when my body -not my head- tells me I'm done. Then, (okay on a good day) I slightly accelerate and run at that pace for as long as I predetermine, like another 1/4 or 1/2 mile at this point. Simple enough. Having said that I've been slowly working to a point that I feel comfortable doing that. I did about three weeks of "no pressure" exercise to build a fitness base, where I run or walk when I feel like it while I'm working out. Actually that's pretty natural when I'm running with kids, they always need something!

My race is in 10 weeks!

 The best benefit to exercise is the way I feel. I'm looking forward to feeling good!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

That's so good. I'm excited to hear how it goes. I want a treadmill. I feel like that would make it easier if I don't have to leave my house and I really want to run again, too.

leighmichellec said...

Good for you! I feel that way- that i need to do something but I need to be the one to start the doing!
GL with your run- you will do great!

Carly said...

Carrie can you be my personal trainer?? Pleassseee... I can be your guinea pig!! I'm excited for you! My half marathon is saturday, and marathon is coming sooo quickly!