Friday, August 28, 2015

Lemons to Lemonade. and other delicious food.

It starts as a simple trip to Costco.
(can trips to Costco be simple?)
And then because I want a lemon, 
I buy a huge bag of lemons,
 to save another trip to the store.
Then I have 101 lemons.
Lucky for me, I am currently obsessed with lemons.
Last fall it was tomatoes.
Now it is lemons.
We've had a LOT of fresh squeezed lemonade. It's a good one for kids to do.
The night before school started we had a lesson on 
"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
We've had a few setbacks in life for a couple kids, and I wanted to help put it into perspective. 
Gosh, I needed it for me, too.
I got five small paper cups and squeezed some lemon juice into each one.
I told everyone at the same time to drink it.
I asked them what they thought.
It's bitter, too strong, not sweet, not good, etc.
Then I gave them lemonade and told them to drink while I talked.
We talked about how we make lemonade.
Lemonade is lemons plus water and sugar.
Lemonade is lemons (trials) plus water (gospel of Christ) and Sugar (positive attitude).

John 4: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

The gospel of Jesus Christ through Christ's atonement will help us get through trials, setbacks, or disappointments, and prayer and a positive attitude will make them sweeter and more bearable.
We talked about when Alma and his people were in bondage to the Lamanites.

Mos. 24: 14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

If Christ can turn water into wine
then He can make our trials SWEET.

And Not by removing the lemons.
Life is about getting lemons - make lemonade.

And these!...

Here's some other things we've been making with lemons (and I love lemon zest) that are SO good:

(with chicken)
Yum!!

1 comment:

Bonnie Crosland said...

Awesome Lesson. You did good work mom. Hope the kids are feeling better about things.