Friday, March 23, 2012

Prayers to El Paso and never say never

We've naturally said a lot of prayers regarding Ben finding a job. Several weeks ago Ben mentioned maybe I should come to El Paso since it was a possible job offer and I might want to see where we might live. Although I didn't think the position sounded like a fit for us, I kept praying and kept feeling like I should just go.

The day before we left Ben got a call offering him a fellowship at Oregon State University. He told me, and I laughed out loud. What were the chances?! How flattering but ironic, since we didn't want it. I even remembered a conversation Ben and I had last year when a girl at Washington State got a fellowship there. I snidely told Ben she wasn't very smart and said "You would never do that, would you?" Definitely not.

Once in El Paso we both realized the position wasn't exactly what we were looking for. However, Dr. Jensen and his wife left a lasting impression on me. They told me frankly that Paul, her husband, had never been happy doing what he did before he went back - after 6 years of working as a vet - to do a residency. 

On the long drive back home we had a lot of time to discuss what we learned and thought. So really, one of the biggest blessings of going to El Paso was to prepare me for where we were going next...to OREGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A quick search through wikipedia showed the county is the least religious in the country. Sad, since I have loved living in the deeply religious bible belt. Wikipedia's "rankings and recognition" showed Corvallis having multiple mentions involving 'good school systems' and 'safe place to live,' which is important to me. But my personal favorite ranking in 2011: "The American city with the lowest risk of natural disaster." SOLD! Although we are moving there, so they better watch out.:)

8 comments:

Morley Fam said...

Wow! Congratulations guys! That's awesome!Isn't it so nice to know where your going? And bonus being closer to family. When do you guys move?

Granted By Tiffany said...

I'm so excited for you! But you will be greatly missed.

The Asay's said...

That is exciting new Carrie. So excited for you guys!

Melanie Hoopes said...

Sweet. Awesome opportunity! Excited for you.

Erin said...

Congrats Carrie! Oregon is a lot closer to Pullman then Oklahoma! Hopefully we'll get to see you guys sometime!

Catlin said...

Congrats! Too bad we will just miss you when we get to Texas... Good luck with everything!

p.s. I love all the posts you do about your kids and the things you are up to. Your kids are so cute!!

Ashley said...

Spencer talks nonstop about what an amazing place Corvaliss is! He said the atmosphere is kinda like Pullmna/Moscow. I'm sure you'll love it!

LWinder said...

Wow Corvallis! It has been some time, but I did enjoy some time there. My aunt lives in Corvallis. Let us know if you need anything. Congratulations! and good luck!
Daniel