Thursday, January 23, 2014

Favorites Day 18 - Cody

I adore this sweet fun-loving little man of mine.
Current favorites include:
*Ninjago and Legos of all kinds
*Ninjago the tv series
*Chess. Chess. and more Chess. Anyone want to come play chess at our house? I will pay you.
 *Handball - played every single recess and most weekends. And there is a name for every type of move the ball could possibly make.
*Informational books from the library. (My favorite books and the cute children's literature books and Cody's favorite books are over in the encyclopedia section. He really feels left out if I don't read at least one to him besides the other books.)
*Least favorite food: potatoes in all their forms, and honey. and blueberries unless they're fresh picked. I miss Oregon berries.
*Wrestling and competing. In fact, he is the most competitive little stinker. We are still working on being gracious even in a game loss, and I see bits of progress here and there. 
*On a school paper he wrote that he loves to play, he loves to play with his sisters, and he loves projects.
He is adorable with Mackayla.
The moment Cody was born changed our lives forever.
But the moment Cody become mobile ruined our house forever. 
I say that in a non-bitter, I realize I have kids, way. Because he is such a good kid, not a destructive one. Definitely not on purpose anyway:)
I know many of you have children that, when they are looking for a toy, in their search they unconsciously empty every toy bin in the entire house. True here with our mad scientist.
The first week we got a new couch Cody cut a huge hole in the arm of it with scissors (he was two, but still).
This past year I refinished our table and was simultaneously so proud and VOWED I would never refinish a piece of furniture again.

The heavens must have laughed.

Just a month later Cody began what was probably an awesome project including a thin piece of cardboard and a screwdriver on our table, stabbing millions of little holes all. over. I would have left it but the thought of tiny particles of food stuck in the holes was kind of disgusting.
So I re-refinished our table.
How can you be mad at that face?:)
I learned one of my most important mother lessons from him.
It was our first week in Oregon. I couldn't wait to check out the bike trail that was at our house's edge.
We geared up with the girls in the double stroller and Cody on his bike. He had never ridden his bike alone with me pushing the stroller this far before. We went 4 miles. On our way back he was weaving and got tangled in between me and the stroller and tripped me. I lunged forward but not wanting to let the stroller go flying down the hill I held on and pinned my fingers under the handle of my 90 pound stroller, skidding down the road. I cursed loudly. Cody was terrified and felt so bad. And he fell too! Of course it wasn't his fault but I was so mad. I gingerly looked at my fingers. I could see bone and started to black out, but luckily didn't.
I am scarred on most of my fingers and do you know what I think of every time I see them?
Children don't need to be yelled at, they need to be loved. 
I have adopted this phrase a lot now..."It's ok, it was an accident."
It's a good reminder. Cause apparently I need a lot of those reminders.
I love this little guy.
Everything is exciting to him. 
Really, everything.
He makes being a mom a fun job and is appreciative of all our efforts as parents.
He is a such a sweet good kid.
We love you Cody!
He's turning SEVEN soon!!! 
OK and because this is a new concept and I love this guy and know he will want to remember this too:)...
"doesn't" is a contraction. It can be split one of two ways...
doesn't = does + not
or, my personal favorite,
doesn't = does + nutnegs
In case you did nutnegs know.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

OK, this is crazy, but as I read your post about Cody I can't believe how much he and CD are alike! CD insisted on joining the chess club at school (one of two kindergartners) and just competed in his first chess tournament last weekend. He is crazy about it. Also ninjago, wrestling and a hate for potatoes! What kid doesn't like potatoes, even French fries, except Cody and CD. Miss you guys!