Bread
This one was inevitable.
Here is a step by step:)
Start with Hard White Wheat.
It is sooo good.
I don't think it's quite as healthy as red wheat from what I've read, but waaay healthier than white flour. A perfect medium ground because it tastes exactly like white bread but has wheat nutrition. I used to always use red wheat but I really do like this taste better and my kids LOVE it.
I think the LDS store has the best prices.
I have a magic mill III, handed down from my mother. Add this much wheat...
it's grinds to a perfect fine flour and I love it. (I'm going to guess that's 6 cups?)
Add it to 5 cups of warm water and 2 T. yeast and mix on low speed for 5 minutes.
Let it sit 15 minutes. It will look like this (minus the sugar I added already)
Add 3/4-1 c sugar (you choose how sweet, you could even use honey), 1/4-1/2 c fat (butter, oil or shortening), and 2 cups flour. Shortening tastes the best fyi, but obviously isn't the healthiest.
Start mixing. Add 1 T salt and then more flour until the dough looks like this and cleans up the sides of the mixer.
It should stick to your fingers when you touch it but also easily pull off. Soft but not too soft.
This is how I like it...I'm not a professional.
I just grab hunks of dough after that and add it to 4 bread pans, flat so they rise evenly and the middles aren't way higher. Cover for an hour or two.
Bake 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until it's about this color and the middle is cooked through.
Eat a piece every morning, toasted and buttered, with hot chocolate.
MMMMMMM
White Wheat Bread
6 c (ground) white wheat flour
2 T yeast
5 c warm water
Mix 5 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.
Add:
1 c sugar
1/4 c oil
2 c white flour
1 T salt
More flour, enough to make soft dough.
Mix until blended well.
Let rise in 4 bread pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
These freeze well too but I usually keep them in the fridge until we eat them.
White Wheat Bread
6 c (ground) white wheat flour
2 T yeast
5 c warm water
Mix 5 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.
Add:
1 c sugar
1/4 c oil
2 c white flour
1 T salt
More flour, enough to make soft dough.
Mix until blended well.
Let rise in 4 bread pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
These freeze well too but I usually keep them in the fridge until we eat them.
1 comment:
yummmm!!!
Post a Comment