Thursday, January 9, 2014

Favorites Day 7 - Forced Finances

As college students, Ben and I had a budget that went something like this:
only buy what is necessary to survive.

I am eternally grateful that we learned, at the very beginning of our marriage, how to spend our money. Our forced situation was a blessing. Not saying we're perfect, cause we're NOT, but I just feel like it was a good way to learn. Obviously it started before that with our parents, but being married with all those responsibilities is different too.

Graduation brings a few extra liberties but there's always something.
Maybe, someday, we might want to own a house.
And there are those pesky students loans.
And this and that...college for kids, retirement. You know.

A couple of months ago I bought us a new set of sheets on sale at Target.
It was the best purchase I may have ever made. Our old sheets were stitched up in one place (at Ben's feet, he he) and you could pretty much see through them in a couple places even though they were red.
The new ones are so soft and...not falling apart! It's the little things.
I used to joke that once we graduated I would go on a crazy shopping spree and get a new wardrobe. haha. I knew things don't magically change after graduation. Still outdated, oh well:)

I think college was the perfect grounds for setting boundaries on spending. Everyone is poor!
And what's more, if someone had nice new stuff and was living the "high life," it was not even tempting because you knew they were in ca-razy debt to do it!!

It is amazing to me what you can live Without.
It's also amazing to me what others deem wants vs. needs.
"How much" need is very negotiable.

Well off people aren't necessarily people that make a ton of money.
They are people that know how to spend, or not spend, the money they have.

This month we are trying not to spend ANY money!
Obviously we have to pay rent and utilities.
And we have to eat.
But everything else is extra!
Actually, we never eat out, so eating won't be bad. I know - that puts us in a lame, boring category. I do like to eat out and I'm sure we will later on in life. It's definitely not a priority for us. Really, an added bonus is I probably don't make healthy choices when I eat out (the good ones are always unhealthy) and I can control how I cook.
We made a few big purchases a month or two ago so this will be a good thing.
It won't be perfect because we're traveling, but other than that - nada.
The inspiration came from 31 Days of Living Well and Spending Zero.

No comments: